Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

How Can Reading Food Labels Improve Your Health?




Do you exercise and eat healthy meals? However, your blood Lab report states that your blood pressure and cholesterol are borderline high. Then, it is imperative that you begin reading the labels on food and medicine.

Hidden high sodium (sodium chloride) is in all processed, canned, and boxed foods. Moreover, restaurant foods contain high sodium.
After reading a news report about Rye bread having more vitamins than wheat bread, I checked out the label, and to my surprise, one slice of Rye bread contained 320 mg of sodium.


Check out the labels on the frozen food meals such as pot pies, they contain 1,000 mg of sodium. Even the low-fat frozen meals contain up to 600 mg of sodium. Beware of vegetarian foods as well. Hidden sodium and gluten are in processed vegetarian meals.
It is best to cook meals at home and eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables.

According to the FDA ( U. S. Food and Drug Administration), "Dietary Guidelines" state that the general population's daily intake be no more than 2,300 mg of sodium, which is equivalent to one heaping teaspoon.

The "Dietary Guidelines" for African American people who are middle-aged and people who suffer from kidney disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes, the intake of sodium is 1,500 mg.

Equally as important, is the intake of cholesterol. The body produces cholesterol naturally, however, read the labels. Some products like cookies, ice cream, whole milk, protein bars, ground turkey, and red meat contain cholesterol. Try plant-based protein shakes instead of whey protein shakes to cut back cholesterol intake.


Before making any changes to your diet, consult with your physician.

Post by Karen Ray



2 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'Hidden high sodium (sodium chloride) can be found in processed, canned, and boxed foods. In addition, hidden sodium is found in restaurant food.'

Good point.

I hardly ever add extra salt to my food.

I hope you are well, K.

Russ:)

K.Ray said...

Hi Russ, Thanks for reading my Blog. I am well. I hope that you are well too.

I never add salt. I was amazed at how much sodium there is in food and medicine. Although, Manufactures are cutting back.

I enjoy reading your Blog as well. Will publish my next article in a few days.
;) K.