Search This Blog

Saturday, June 05, 2010

What Is The New Benefit From Eating More Blueberries?

Blueberries may lower cholesterol.



New-Medical.net reported new research from the U. S. Department of Agriculture which shows that blueberries may lower cholesterol as effectively as a commercial drug and have potentially fewer adverse side effects.

A compound called pterostilbene found in blueberries, contain similar cancer chemopreventative properties to those found in resveratrol, a compound that is found in grapes.

It is the compound pterostilbene that has the potential to be developed into a nutraceutical for lowering cholesterol.

The laboratory study used rat liver cells. The experiment exposed four compounds from the blueberries to the cells. Pterostilbene showed a high potency for activating the cells receptor which plays a part in reducing cholesterol and other lipids.
Until the study is done on humans, the research does not state how many blueberries humans would have to eat to lower their cholesterol. Nonetheless, other benefits from the rich antioxidant fruit are:
  • Anti-Aging
  • Protection Against Cancer
  • Protection Against Heart Disease
  • Prevent Obesity
  • Memory Booster
And, now perhaps lower cholesterol. That's keen knowledge!





4 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

'A compound called pterostilbene found in blueberries, contain similar cancer chemopreventative properties to those found in resveratrol, a compound that is found in grapes.

It is the compound pterostilbene that has the potential to be developed into a nutraceatical for lowering cholesterol.'

Plus they taste fantastic.

K.Ray said...

LOL Russ. How are you doing? Thank you for always reading my Blog.

Yes, blueberries are delicious! All of the medical terms and known compounds are in blueberries and grapes.

Eat blueberries to lower cholesterol.

Russ, you have been my number one reader who writes comments. if you like, I would love to feature you and your favorite healthy food or exercise. Moreover, I will write a short bio too.

Sincerely,
K.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Thanks, K.

I am waiting for the final word on my PhD pass.

I am working on a web eBook business and also will look for work as a professor.

I replied to your comment on satire and theology.

'Russ, you have been my number one reader who writes comments. if you like, I would love to feature you and your favorite healthy food or exercise. Moreover, I will write a short bio too.'

Sure sounds good, please let me know.

K.Ray said...

Russ,
I will pray for your success.

Thank you. I will email you for more details.

:)
K.

/